Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Prudential Approval

A 55 year old from Manhassett, who worked for Northwell as a nurse, applied for the long term disability (“LTD”) benefits because she could no longer work due to Lupus and back problems. Prudential denied the LTD claim by rejecting all of her treating doctors’ opinions in favor of its in-house doctor. The claimant contacted my office after researching Long Island disability attorneys, and visiting my website.  After her free phone consultation, she retained me to appeal the decision.

I gathered and submitted medical and vocational evidence that rebutted each basis for Prudential’s denial. Just a few days before its deadline for rendering a decision, on a Friday evening, Prudential sent me a medical review by Lucien Parrillo, a well-known insurance industry doctor. No surprise, Parrillo parroted the opinion of Prudential’s in-house doctor.

In just a few days, I managed to submit medical reports rebutting Parrillo’s review. Two weeks ago, when Prudential’s decision deadline expired, I commenced a lawsuit by filing a 37 page Complaint. Last week, Prudential’s attorney asked if I would stay litigation so Prudential could render a belated decision. I declined in order to preserve de novo review. Prudential faxed an approval letter to me today. 

Unfortunately, disability insurers are so driven by their profit motive that they usually do not take LTD appeals seriously until litigation is commenced.



No comments: