Monday, August 19, 2013

Fully Favorable Decisions

Not all fully favorable decisions from Social Security are actually fully favorable. A couple of months ago, I received an approval of Social Security Disability (“SSD”) benefits from an Administrative Law Judge (“”ALJ”). During the hearing, I amended the claimant’s onset date to January 2010. However, when I reviewed the decision, I noticed that the onset date was amended to June 2010. 

There is a 60 day period to raise any issue with respect to a hearing decision. I notified the hearing the office of the discrepancy. Today, a revised hearing decision was issued that accepted January 2010 as the amended the disability onset date. As a result, the claimant will receive an addition half year’s SSD benefits. Even if you receive what appears to be a fully favorable decision, you need to review it carefully to ensure that no benefits are effectively being waived.

No comments: