Friday, August 9, 2013

Unum Pressures Doctors

When I represent a claimant for an Long Term Disabilty (“LTD”) claim, I send a letter of representation letter with specific instructions to the insurance company to have no further contact with the claimant, and that all communication goes through me. I also advise the claimant to set up a meeting with their doctors to ask them not to speak to anyone, including doctors, who call the insurance company handling their claim.

Why do I take these measures? Unum, in particular, has a habit of calling and harassing the claimant’s doctors. This bullying is done on purpose, calling the doctors in the middle of the day, during their busiest time. The claimant’s doctor may just provide information, without even checking their patients. This is why it is imperative to have a face to face conversation with all your doctors when applying for LTD.

No comments: